I didn't get this layout completed over the weekend as I struggled with getting it to come together. It's funny - I knew I was going to do a layout about kites so when I saw this paper in the shop, it seemed really perfect. But in reality, I find papers with elements already included quite hard to cope with as I don't want to cover those parts of the sheet so it restricts my layout choices. I definitely prefer a blank canvas and creating my own background so I can be free to place things wherever I want. (Note to Self: do not buy this kind of paper again!!)
I used acylic paint and a harlequin stencil to add interest and also an alphabet stencil using glimmer mist.
The kites were from a sheet which matched the paper so I added candy stripe string tails and cut little bows.
The photos of my son flying his kit were cut into different sized strips and mounted using 3D silicone glue to vary the depth.
The new technique I used on this page was making the bright texture strips. These were made using molding paste (Golden) which I coloured with acrylic paint and applied using various tools onto strips of masking tape. When they dried, a rubbed them with several shades of Inka Gold.
These strips are great as you can tear them to what ever length you want and add them to your page. Mine are very bold but you can make them using plain molding paste which you can paint to match your scheme as you use them. I stuck mine to a plastic box lid as it makes them very easy to remove when you want to use them.
I found the poem on a poetry website and journalled it between some wavy lines to finish the page off.