Disclaimer

"Some of the products used on my blog may have been provided by the vendors mentioned in my posts."

Monday 11 March 2013

Closed



This layout is based on Wheal Peevor tin mine which is one of the many abandoned mines to be found all over Cornwall.  Their shape makes them very striking against the skyline so I decided to enhance this further using Lightroom.

I used my Gelli plate to create my background paper by adding the black and white pattern and the  purple and pale grey bands.  I then used an Artist Cellar stencil with molding paste (Golden) to create two panels in opposite corners.  Once the paste was dry I rubbed Viva Decor paste and gilding wax into them to give them colour and shimmer.

I printed the poem onto tissue paper and glued it to my layout with Mod Podge.  I have to confess its a lot easier if you have a set size and place for tissue paper items as my first couple of attempts resulted in torn paper!  Large areas of tissue are certainly tricky customers!

Anyway, once it was down, I moved on by stamping the window onto vintage map paper which I tore and inked with black soot.  The hinges which were cut from grunge paper, painted with black acrylic paint and rubbed with silver Inka-Gold.  The barbed wire (Dusty Attic) was painted black and touched up with a little copper Inka-Gold for a rusty effect.  The Owl is from PaperArtsy Hot Picks which I stamped and coloured with pencils.

I cut the flowers from vintage book pages using the tattered florals die by Tim Holtz.  I inked it up with broken china and black soot before adding a black crystal brad.

The black crystal swirl is by Prima and I added this with the stamped journalling ticket and my flower.  I perched my crows and added a key (Seven Gypsies) to complete this page.

This was the second of my three layouts which I entered in the National Scrapbooker of the Year 2013 competition in which I was a runner-up.

I am entering this page into Challenge 43 - Swirls at Fashionable Stamping.

Have a great week.  xx

18 comments:

  1. I love this, very sooky and mysterious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a long close look and then took a closer look. This is just a fabulous layout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew when I came here before, this caught my eye! The DH takes a week off and I lose track of my blogging buddies, but I will forgive him! This is gorgeous! Love the background and more and more I am needing that plate! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - this is a stunning page - so much gorgeous detail, the colours are perfect and love the variety of textures - Thank you so much for sharing with us at FSC...Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing layout Alexa, loads going on you just want to keep looking and looking.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing layout, love all the different layers and colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing texture and everything works in perfect harmony with the photograph to create mystery and drama.
    Wishes
    Lynne
    Alexa, thank you for your visits and lovely comments. I was so unsure of the Love, Lovely Life! fabric hanging but when you said it still has a vintage appearance to it you set my mind at ease!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much eye candy on this layout- Beautifully done!!! Love the texture and the picture- and how everything blends so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. spooky, dramatic and textural. Just wonderful really.EE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Love the bird on the hinge, and your gorgeous stacked flower. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fabulous layout Alexa and such wonderful details.
    Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. beauty! i love the subtlety in the color palette. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! I love the colours, layers and all the effects are enchanting...I can't stop looking at it! Lots of love from Laura xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So gorgeous... love the composition of your elements which just draws the eye around the page. Fabulous Gothic creation! Thanks so much for your lovely comment today - so much appreciated (though I'd have to admit, planning is not something that really seems to happen much round my way... I tend to follow my fingers, and see where they go!!).
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How could I just miss this awesome page, Alexa!!!!

    Brilliant artwork! So very inspiring!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really stunning layout Alexa. The background is fabulous and the colours look amazing.
    Thanks for joining our FSC swirls challenge.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a unique project! Extraordinary. Thank you for joining us at FSC!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an amazing work! I wish so bad that I could hold it in my hands... Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and value each and every one ... so let me know what you think ...