Disclaimer

"Some of the products used on my blog may have been provided by the vendors mentioned in my posts."

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Geevor Tin Mine


This is a page I have made for this week's challenge at Gingersnap Creations where we are focusing on steampunk all month.  We are very kindly sponsored this month by Dezinaworld and some of the images I have used in this piece were donated by them.   The title of the challenge is GC112 Iron, leather and Brass.

In one of my earlier posts, following my first foray into trying out steampunk, I said that I hoped to scrap my photos of our recent trip to the Tin Mine in Cornwall in a this style.  I hadn't realised when I said this, that I would get an opportunity to do so this quickly!  

A good friend of mine recently sent me the fabulous die cut clock which she has designed and cut out on a Pazzles machines.  It has sat on my desk for a week while I decided where to use it and then this layout sprang to mind.  

I inked the corners of my paper, which is by Pink Paislee, with distress inks to highlight the gorgeous damask masking.  I printed and cut out the cogs from a collage sheet by Dezinaworld and altered the large cog to make it a more open style gear.  I coupled these images with real cogs from old watches.

I cut my Victorian gent from a tag collage sheet, also by Dezinaworld and used more old watch parts to dress him in a steampunk style.  The moths and tiny dragonflies were stamped with Pumice Stone distress ink.

I created my title sign from grungeboard which I inked with distress ink and then dried with a heat gun.  I then re-inked it with Versamark and coated it with UTEE which I heated until it started to bead and then stopped.  This gives a faux leather effect which is hard to pick up with the camera but it really an easy and impressive technique which I would recommend everyone to try.  Tim Holtz (who else could have dreamed this up?) is the master behind this technique and there are several u-tube videos on it if you would like to see a clip.


My letters were cut on my cricut machine in dark grey cardstock to match the clock.  However, I had not thought through the faux leather colour and soon realised they would need to be pale to show up.  I decided to ink them with VersaMagic White and clear emboss them.  I was really pleased with the result as they actually look like tin - result! 

I ran them through my Xyron Quick Sticker but found that they wouldn't adhere to the faux leather finish. so some fiddly gluing was required!  


I am really happy with this page as it has all come together really well (hope you agree!) and it was fun.  It was a great place to visit and I had lots of great shots which I wanted to use.  Best of all, my friend who provided the clock for me lives about a mile from the mine so my page has a great local connection.


Happy crafting everyone! x

1 comment: