Disclaimer

"Some of the products used on my blog may have been provided by the vendors mentioned in my posts."

Monday 29 April 2013

Tulip Bookmark




Today it's my son's 15th Birthday.  It's obviously a great day for him but it's always really special for me too as he was my first child and as corny as it sounds, it just feels like I had him yesterday.  I can't believe I'm a Mum to a 15 year old!  ( Sure all you Mum's out there know exactly what I mean!!)

His birthday list is very short this year which means he only has a couple of gifts to open and the remainder of his budget he is saving.  This is great as he has money for things he may want later in the year but it's not much fun getting an envelope of cash is it? 


However, the one thing he did want was a bookmark.   

He is an avid reader and his mulberry paper bookmark we bought in Thailand some years ago is almost worn out.   

He saw a really cool one make from recycled electronic boards at the Natural History Museum but it was a bit chunky to sit nicely in a book.  So, he asked me to make him one.

I did a class at the weekend at the Stamp Attic with Kate Crane which was fab.  She got us drawing and to my surprise, I found I could draw better than I thought. So I decided to base the bookmark on 'Tulip' who is Max's rabbit which he has had since he was a tiny baby and which has been his favourite soft toy his whole life.

Tulip has always been the special toy and he has travelled the world with us.

My regret is not knowing this in advance as I would have loved to have thought to take photos of him on our travels as it would have made a great album.

I created my background using dylusions inks and stencils.  Added some stamping and painty bits & pieces before covering most of it up!!!  My rabbit was drawn and cut out and painted using distress inks.


I wrote a note from Tulip on the back which will amuse Max and then I ran it through my Zyron machine to protect it and make it last a bot longer!  I punched a hole so I could add the tassel and it's all ready.

I've yet to make his card and cake so better press on!!

Have a great day ...


 I am going to enter this bookmark into FSC Challenge 'Sentimental'.  When I popped by and saw their challenge, I thought this must be meant to be as it couldn't really get more sentimental for me (it nearly made my cry writing the note on the back as it brought back all the times he was a little boy!!) Oh ... I think I need to 'man-up'!!

x

9 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! It is definitely Max on the bookmark and the colours you used work brilliantly.
    Happy Birthday to your son, I am sure he will love his present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally brilliant bookmark, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an amazing bookmark, love the colors, the image and all. Thanks for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bookmark, you have definitely got the hang of this drawing lark, hope to see more in your journal! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fantastic bookmark made with love for a special occasion. he will love it.
    Thank you for sharing it with us at FCS this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea for the bookmark Alexa. You have recreated Tulip beautifully with a a great background to sit on. I am sure this will now become another favourite for your son.
    Hugs Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alexa, What a fabulous bookmark, love your drawing, and no doubt your son will too.
    Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Alexa...such a very thoughtful gift! My boys are around this age too, so I know where you are coming from!!! He will absolutely loooove it!
    Thanks for joining in the fun at Fashionable Stamping Challenges
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a wonderful, thoughtful gift... love the idea of a bookmark with the adored favourite toy on it, and a message too. Beautifully done!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and value each and every one ... so let me know what you think ...